Thursday, October 25, 2012

"French Ghetto Eyes"


They are all watching.
Wherever I go,
Whatever I do,
They gaze at my hair, my hands, my face.
There is no saving grace.

The birds, they report from afar,
Always following when I drive a car.
The fish watch as I swim,
Like the portraits hanging in a gym.
I have moved to hell.

I am watched by dogs,
When I buy a newspaper,
I am watched by cats,
When I watch the stars.
There can be only one torment.

Children watch when I walk,
Women watch when I talk,
Merchants watch when I shop,
Librarians watch when I read,
I want to scream in braille.

I can remember from the days gone by,
Everyone that watched as I passed
With their curious blank eyes,
Their smiles strangely similar to
Gestapo guards in Dachau...

Five, four, three, two, one---
Breathe

No comments: